October 2, 2010

Rosie, reporting for duty

by Lindsay

I am not Rosie the Riveter.  I did pose as her once for Halloween, and while I’d say I managed a fair resemblance from the naked eye’s perspective, I think it must have given me a very false sense of my own strength.  Tonight is proof of that.

6:45pm. I report to duty for night one of my fence building career.  Tonight’s lesson: how to dig the wooden corner post.  Let’s omit the fact that by the time I showed up nearly 4/5 of the hole had been dug.  By the time 7pm rolled around the sweat was already beading up around my forehead and I had a blister the size of a dime on my right hand. 
Travis offers some guidance

For those who haven’t had the pleasure of digging a fence post hole before, let me share a few things I learned (and if you have, please chuckle to yourself as you recall your first night with the post hole digger). 
using the tamping rod

#1: the posts you see scattered throughout a field are only half the story.  Yes, just as much post is buried under ground as is visible above ground.  That amounts to four painful feet of digging.  I completed about four inches before feeling like I needed to pass out. 

#2: until you dig such a hole with four friends standing by watching, you will not know the meaning of humiliation.

#3: forget putting up a pull up bar in the barn, this is all the workout anyone needs.

checking how solid it is
Despite a little embarrassment and a lot of exhaustion, I figure it can only get better from here on out.  Who knows, maybe next time I’ll get eight inches dug before falling to the ground!