August 31, 2010

takin' a walk

by Katie


Our little country road
Today was an especially beautiful pre-fall afternoon so I took the long way to the barn to do chores. Our little barn is locate smack-dab in the middle of our 18 acres, so normally I just open the gate and drive out to it along our humble, lumpy, home-made dirt road. But today was a good day for a walk, so walk I did. Hopping out of the truck was immediately rewarding. A gentle, insistent breeze had everything smelling like fall. In front of a baby blue sky and cottony clouds, grasshoppers and crickets leapt everywhere. They shot up in every direction like little bottle rockets, landing wherever they landed; on my legs, between sandal and foot, in the bucket I carried. Each time making a soft, crinkly plicking sound. I think I'll walk more often.